Saturday, February 23, 2013

rest in peace

Hello,
Friday my mother's mother passed away.
The end of an era, the final great grandparent to leave my children.

i am Happy to say they most likely will remember her.
the meals at her house, the holidays spent together.

Life dealt her a sadness that she never was able to overcome.
She met my grandfather, her husband when she was 14 or so,
married him at 15 and had my mother at 16.
He was taken from her 25 or 26 yrs ago...she never accepted that she could have not prevented this.

Her 3rd child had an illness that almost cost the child her life.
A devout Catholic she prayed and vowed if this child lived
she would walk barefoot in the parade for this saint until the child died...never thinking she
would out live the child by 16 or so years.

She was forever  profoundly sad and never even realized it.
I am sad she is gone but know she is at peace
also i am relieved my mother will have some rest.


We are headed down this same path with keith's dad.
He looks so frail.  I did not to accept this would happen to him so quickly.
I remember driving home the last time i saw joan thinking...'this is the last time
I will talk to her or even see her.
I cannot do this. I want all this over.  living is hell after they are gone.'

Light humor...there has been a running joke that i try to return Keith to them
every so often...he tells me NO RETURNS..
so tonight as kiss him bye i tell him i cannot stay but I am leaving him Keith...
he perks up and says what??? don't leave him here!!

So with my glass of wine I toast them both.. to have known and loved  and been loved by them.
c

No comments:

Post a Comment